Monday, December 17, 2012

An orange and a dog

December 18, 2012. I woke up more "alive" than I did yesterday. I told myself that I am shedding off yesterday's lethargy which hit me the moment I opened my eyes and stayed until I unknowingly closed them with the TV still on.

This morning I went through my breakfast routine -- one that I can execute without missing a beat and with little thinking. Bathroom rituals. Coffee with the Lord. Logging on. More worship this time online. Emails. Preparing Jenny's baon -- three sandwiches, the third for her colleague, Elena. Setting up my breakfast  stuff -- turmeric, honey, meds, cold water, and a fruit. Watching Diego see Jenny driving off to work through the dining room window. Finally -- breakfast!

Breakfast is usually with Diego.

This morning, I had egg and cheese, and an orange to cap. Everything went as customary -- no problem getting Diego to eat.

Diego has not been well these past few months. We needed to take him to the vet a couple of times and was once prescribed not to have his regular grooming and spa treatment "until he improves," vet Nina said. (Photo at right was taken on one of his recent trips to his vet.)

But the family has been in high spirits lately because he's sprung back to normal. Gone are the on-and-off days of no appetite, lethargy, refusing even water, no poo-poo-ing, sometimes no peeing either.

This morning, he just wouldn't get off the chair to drink. He sat and stared at me, tapping my knee every now and then as I started to peel my orange. I thought maybe he likes its nice tangy smell.

Then I thought I'd offer him some. Why not? Orange = Vitamin C. Just what he needs, reminded that he's been on vitamin C starting last week because he had a slight cold. But still I wasn't sure as he's a veggie dog more than a fruit dog. He wasn't particularly fond of fruits.

How surprised I was that he took a liking to orange. I finished about two thirds of the fruit. He had the rest.

Thus, unless I see signs that his tummy did not take well to the orange, my breakfast choreography will now include additional steps.
  • Peel orange. 
  • Take off white stuff that adheres to each segment like some abstract artwork. 
  • Open one segment. 
  • Remove seeds (one or two). 
  • Take out the pulp bits, careful not to squeeze the juice out of them. 
  • Divide the segment into four or five pieces. 
  • Give one piece to Diego alternately as I eat my part of the orange.
  • Open another segment and repeat steps... 
The year is almost ending. I wonder what other wonderful changes will happen in the remaining days?

I will watch out, not for Santa, but for the many more unexpected, breathtaking, magical wonders the Lord has in store. Then I will remember to thank and honor Him for His goodness and grace.

This morning, God spoke to me through an orange and a dog. Totally unexpected. Truly creative. His usual awesome self.

1 comment:

  1. OMG Lulu!!!!, I love it !!!, how wonderful animals are to show us the real meanings of life...They are so simple and innocent!.
    I love the way you are able to translate all those messages, and Diego, well, he is a treasure!.
    What a sweet picture Lulu!!!
    Sending you all the love of the world, and a huge kiss from Connie and Lola!
    Kisses for you, Jenny and Diego...
    Erica

    ReplyDelete