Friday, November 2, 2012

"Someone who thinks and feels the way you do"

According to UsingEnglish.com, "kindred spirit" is "someone who feels and thinks the way you do." So I thought it would be a most fitting title. 

I didn't know what to think or say when I realized the similarity of these two photos.

MJ's was taken in Mainland China -- Yongmo Village, Zhongshan, Guandong Province -- on October 23, 1987. At the time, foreign artists were not allowed to perform in China. But he went on a brief tour to soak in the people, the culture, and the place. Taken in front of the old lady's house, it is among the photos which reportedly still hang in the villagers' homes.

Mine was taken in RuYuan County  also in Guandong Province, Mainland China on December 2, 2008. The trip was one of several to the province where I was overseeing a program for needy hill-tribe children, part of which was bringing donors face to face with the children.

I and a group of donors from Hong Kong were on our way to the home of one of the children. This old lady quietly stood by as the "aliens" descended, nay, ascended to their village up in the hills.

At that time, MJ was merely in the periphery of my radar. I hardly knew the guy! That I would be so taken by this remarkable man was farthest from my mind. Nor that we may actually be similar in certain ways, have  inclinations such as these photos show. I've seen MJ's photos in China including this one. But it was only last night that its similarity with one of mine struck me.

Though I have miles to go to achieve an iota of his greatness, I am happy to know that I share even just this little bit with this exceptionally wonderful human being.

Be patient, MJ -- by God's grace, am working on it. LOL!



No comments:

Post a Comment