Tuesday, December 25, 2012

When all was still

Christmas 2012 frenzy over, I changed into my jammies, my aching back eager to feel my old familiar mattress.

But after switching off my bedroom light, my feet made a sudden turn, then led me out of my room and into the corridor. There I stood transfixed for I don't know how long.

The houselights were off. The only ones still on were the multicolored Christmas lights adorning the boungavillea by the front gate, and inside, the white rice lights on the Christmas tree. They made such a pretty magical picture that spoke of stillness, quiet, and peace. What a 
wonderful ender to a special day.

As if waking from a dream, I swiftly turned around. With my phone camera, I took a few shots not knowing how they looked or if I captured anything at all. I silently hoped though that I was able to somehow. It was a special moment and I wanted to document it. 

Such times are getting rarer and rarer. I had thought that I would have more of them as I aged. But I was wrong. Especially at Christmas.

Christmas is a time one prepared for with such intensity. The list of chores seemed endless. There just was no slowing down. Making one's Christmas list. Budgeting. Shopping for presents online and at the malls. Wrapping them and hiding some. Putting up the Christmas decor (thanks to Jenny). Sending out greetings via internet or snail mail. Planning the menu (thanks to Ellen). Filling it up on the 24th, i.e., driving around with Jenny, Ellen and Diego, picking up orders from several restaurants. Delivering the goodies to the neighbors. Replying to greetings on Facebook. Arranging for courier service for some of the presents. Handing my favorite vendor, Manang (I have yet to know her real name) a few bills -- she ran after me with a bagful of banana chips, sweet potato chips, and shing-a-aling. Preparing and sending out the Christmas snacks for the security guards. Dropping off Christmas snacks for some street kids. 

This year, the last three chores were the most meaningful. They brought me joy I've never known before. I guess I finally got it this time. Unlike in the past years, my heart finally seemed to have found the right place about the giving.

Then this year too, my family was reunited with Rene and family in the US. Never mind if it was only via skype. It was heartwarming. How funny Auring was, drooling over the native goodies on our table. And Rene can't wait to try the new Apple San Mig beer Dodo showed him. We missed Bobby who was still at work, the 24th not a holiday in the US.

God is indeed the Ultimate Gift-Giver. He knows exactly
what will fill our hearts. From out of the
blue, we find ourselves living through magical instances that are momentary and forever all at the same time. Short and sweet, but bound to stay in our hearts and minds. 

Once again, the Birthday Celebrant gave. 

How good that we have the rest of the year to do our turn. It's the least we can do. Really.



No comments:

Post a Comment