Friday, January 20, 2017

Do not be careful what you ask for.

Friday, January 20, 2017

I don’t recall having prayed that way, at least not in those exact words. In my prayer time yesterday, I found myself uttering at one point, “Lord, make me more productive today than yesterday.”

This was borne of my recent discomfort at not making good use my of time, at least unlike before. Often being held hostage by vertigo and similar other health issues, I would be down to the basics of food, bathroom, and sleep for days on end. Time to mull on one's growing to-do list seemed one of the few things one could really do. Multitasking workaholics will easily relate with the agony and guilt.

Morning yesterday took the usual route. Until after breakfast when I decided to make a concentrate of the close to 20 dalanghita or native oranges Jenny brought home the day before.

As I went along, I found myself organizing the work, just like way back when, At one point, I realized it was too late to google or to search YouTube as my hands were already wet, sticky with the oranges. Besides I was eager or get on.

I (and Marilyn) took the following steps, varying the sequence and the pace to avoid being bored with the routine. I thought that after all, I wasn't part of an assembly line nor have a quota to make or deadline to beat,   

I cut each fruit in half vertically. Marilyn then did the squeezing as she had the strength to do that part while I did not.

That would have been it but I thought I wanted a concentrate with pulp bits. So, holding the already squeezed half, I snipped each section where it was attached to the core to extricate the remaining pulp bits that remained in the sac. Using a teaspoon, I scraped the hard-to-get ones.

Because it wasn’t really easy, I was tempted several times to discard some as I was getting at the pulp bits.  But each time, a faint whisper seemed to say, “Tsk, tsk, Vitamin C going down the drain...” and I would quickly proceed muttering mentally "What the heck!".

So, finally a bottle of orange concentrate rich with pulp bits is in our ref set to being taken as smoothie, shake, or juice.

On hindsight, I realize there's really so much more to that bottle of concentrate. 

My expectation in the beginning was nothing sublime, just a bit of achievement as I was recovering my equilibrium. I was also certain that it would be challenging for one like me who has not really been into housework -- to the consternation of my family at times. I guess though they seem to have accepted that reality and love me just as much (I think). 

I struck gold while I was at it. It suddenly hit me that God DOES listen and answer!!!! Not that I didn't know that before. But to sense that so palpably was something else. I was unquestionably productive more than I was yesterday or like I have never been for so long. 

My joy will be full every time I recall my dalanghita escapade. But that I was so much more productive than I was the day before as I asked was a measly part of it.

" Thank You for being true to Your promises, Lord, Indeed You are mindful not only of the big requests we make of You. You do make time to work on the little things that we ask for, even when we sometimes do so absentmindedly. I should keep in mind to ask You with abandon, just like a child. You are truly beyond our most ardent dreams.

By the way, orange juice does not agree with my tummy so I keep off it. Because of yesterday morning, orange thoughts will now evoke a nice warm feeling for me, maybe even giving way to a quiet smile. 

No comments:

Post a Comment