Wednesday, February 3, 2016

2.2.2016

2.2.2016


Quiet. Hot. 28 San Pablo was its usual. Then…anong ‘yari?!!?? 

Naging hotter. Nagdatingan na kasi. Elsie. Andy, Bem and Chiqui. Nydia. Vilma and Yoly. And…dyarannnnn…Juling. Yakapan, halikan, kamustahan sa muling pagkikita.

As in any reunion, there were food, drinks, etc. We said thanks and sought God's blessings. Then the raffle was announced. Naturally, the air got electrified. 

"Kasali ba to, Nyds? Aakapin ko na baka isali."
On impulse and not known to my guests, I prepared loot bags for them. Shopping bags of various department stores from my collection -- Nafnaf, H&M, Uniqlo, Soi Fab!, Terra Nova, Rustan’s, Our Home – each had an assortment of pre-loved and brand-new items. As in the popular TV show, Storage Wars, and the Japanese January 2 tradition, fukubukuro (“lucky bags”/”mystery bags”), one rule was “You can peek but you cannot touch.”  The stubs they picked from a container were opened simultaneously. Then one claimed the bag with the name in his or her stub.  

Then --- squeals, screams, giggles, sukatan, showing what one got, basta bedlam. 

When things quieted down a bit, attention was called to the shoe stack in one corner. Anything goes but an appeal was made for any anonymous cash donation for disadvantaged children for the upcoming school opening. Not much more could be said. By now focus of most everyone was on the shoe stack. Oblivious of anything else, necks craned for a better view of the footwear. Then again, squeals, screams, giggles, at sukatan pa more!

Di kailangan ng caption ang mga ngiti.
I forgot to say, “One pair each only.”  But seeing the joy and delight of my friends was enough for me to just sit back, smile, and savor the moment. After all it’s not often one sees 50+ year olds transform into children right before one's eyes!!! I really am not sure which one had the more happiness – them or me.

"Ang kay Maria ay talagang hindi kay Juling."

Someone remembered "Photos!" Instantly, posing here and there and the group's accredited photo documentor Andy went to work. 
   
Naitago ng throw pillow ang tiyan ni Chiqui pero di ang
kaligayahan niya. Pero Vilma, bitiwan mo naman yan!
Wala ka bang tiwala sa amin?
Feeling galing lang sa Trinoma.


Naging Aldub Philam chapter pa! (Pagkatapos mag nenok 
ng Hapee tooohpaste at calendar)

Finally naki selfie ang documentor. Welcome, Andy!  Pagpalain ka.
Then coffee and bananaQ, turon, and camote fritters, espasol, kropek then another round of veggie salad. Simultaneously people continued to try their “new” old shoes and belt and stuff. 

This account will not be complete without some quotable quotes: 
-- Andy, holding onto the handle of our ref door: "Teka, mag-CCR muna ako ha?"
-- Andy, peering into the 2nd sala: "Lu, may TV repair shop kayo?
-- Vilma holding her loot bag more tightly as someone was passing by:"Teka, baka     
    mabawasan. Mahirap na."
-- Juliet: "Oy oy oy, my English is ferfek:"


O, di ba?
Amid all these, Charlie received not only much attention but also much love. True to form, he reciprocated in his own unique ways.

I remember how I have been mulling over this since December as I was struggling with intermittent nausea, asthma attacks, stress, among others. -- Should I host? Will I be able to do it? Will I have the energy, the resources? Will they come? I remember how I sought postponement several times. 

Then I found myself praying that God will give me everything I need. Everything especially the right motive. I told Him I didn't want to do it for mere pleasure or my personal glory. How I often deceive myself that I am doing something for the good of another but also for me to look good. This time I wanted to be sure that it be His -- all of it, including what my guests and I will take from what will transpire. 

I guess it took a while for me to fully surrender and have the right motive. Then around the end of January, it became clear. I then told my housemates. Another confirmation was their delight that I am finally leaving my bed (hahaha!) and seem to be resuming my old ways. Ellen and I had more than one argument because she wanted to serve more food than what I had in my menu! Not to forget Jenny's plowing through her shoe cabinet, sore back and all from that nasty slip at KFC, and of course, Marilyn's and Nikki's selfless help. 

Looking back, God spoke clearly to me that day. I gained the most from that day that blared and tooted and hooted, dropped to a hiss then up to a crescendo again then onto a sweet and languid melody. A symphony of friendship that I know I will keep playing not only in mind but also in my heart. 

Finally, as in most things in 28 San Pablo, Charlie has the final say. 








3 comments:

  1. wow...you really took note of those "quotable quotes?" It was our pleasure Lulu and i will surely be present for the next raffle draw provided andun pa rin ang bonus na monggo (ginisa) ni bem and i'll bring my share too, itlog na maalat from pateros. It was super fun, the seniors had a blast...:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. my only regret was that di ka nakapagconcert.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete