Sunday, January 18, 2015

Giver par excellence

January 18, 2015

God is such a great giver.

I was in a quandary yesterday morning. I was cursing myself half the time for having suggested the get-together among a small group from PCF for the day. I completely forgot that tt was Ellen's and Raul's 50th anniversary. Especially with Raul's recent hospitalization, I felt that it was important for the entire family to celebrate though it was just a simple lunch at home.

At around one, we had finished lunch (with more banter and teasing than usual) and I was in a cab on EDSA on my way to Forbeswood Heights at BGC. Bem's text sounded frantic -- no one has arrived. Meantime, she and Andy had the food ready by the poolside.

I was stuck in traffic near Ayala. Media announced that the Pope was arriving from Tacloban much earlier due to the weather condition in the Visayas so Metro Manila streets especially in the area became toxic again. Bem texted shortly that most of the group had arrived. Soon, I joined them after the driver managed to wiggle our way through the traffic.

When I got to Forbeswood, I wasn't quite into it yet. It was a motley group. Chiqui, Juliet, and Yolly were in Programs; Nydia was in Admin; Bem, Kitz, Andy, and I were in the Information unit. We weren't really friendly across divisions. We were competitive, often in a far-from-healthy way though civil. Individuals would sometimes cross over but still quite apart as units.

It was after I got home past eight that I noticed it. No, I did not only notice the genuine camaraderie. I was convinced it was for real. And was I truly delighted. I realized what a fun time I had! I never laughed so much for such a long time! I never felt so comfortable and free -- exchanging jokes, even making bits and pieces of revelation about people myself included and times past in PCF. And each one seemed to have had the same enjoyment as I did. For real.

These photos taken by Andy (including one with Mark, the son of  Rene and Carmen both former PCF-ers too who is on vacation from Toronto) will speak for themselves.
       Though Nydia, Kitz, and Andy are not in this photo,    
this captures the spirit that prevailed. 

The girls doing a Miss Universe wave. 









Kitz wasn't there yet in this shot (extreme right is Mark).

What happened there? Those 40 some years? Enmity, unhealthy competition, and rancor seemed to have evaporated. No one can really explain, I guess. Except that people changed. And that they did for the better because they were transformed.

Once again, I was in for a surprise. What a cool, pleasant, and heart-warming surprise that can only come from a good and loving God. OMG, thank You!



No comments:

Post a Comment