Sunday, April 27, 2014

No.

This past week, I seem to have quite a lot on my plate. But then again, maybe there's not enough, reason why I had time to muse on what may seem to many, as insignificant, not worth one's time, something way at the bottom of a person's to-do list of things.

But is it really?

No. N-O. No.

A two-letter one-syllable word. Easy to write. Easy to pronounce in any language. But why is it often so hard to say?

This ease explicit for one of the shortest but most powerful words in the English language has been at the root of many of the complications that modern (wo)man faces today.

For myself, I find it hard to say it even if I know that I can no longer take any more -- in relationships, in work, in eating, in watching TV, in playing video games, in acquiring non-essentials, etc. I sometimes also find it hard to do so to affirm publicly that I believe differently from the majority of those I am with. Or even silently to myself when confronted with an obviously clear mistake on my part.

I see the same happening to others whether it's one who wants to move ahead or project or create an impression for oneself or a rich scion who wants to help the disadvantaged. Even for them, no is a word to avoid, wittingly or unwittingly. Yes is THE operative word most of the time. Until one can no longer operate at his or her best because even for an expert multi-tasker, there is always wisdom in focusing on only one thing at a time to be able to get the best yield for one's self and for those intended to be benefited by the action.

In reflection, Jesus did that. He had one solid purpose for becoming man and He said 'No!" quite firmly to other things that got in the way.

Dear Lord, help me learn from You.

No comments:

Post a Comment