Monday, June 8, 2009

Jackstones and ice cream one Sunday long ago

One Sunday morning in the early 50’s in our house in G. Tuazon, Sampaloc, Manila. I was inconsolable.

The jackstones my Dad promised me were nowhere. He said sorry he got caught up in covering some story and completely forgot about them. I was already asleep when he came home late the night before, and only found out about the missing jackstones upon waking up.

My Mom was angry -- at my non-stop whimpering and also at my Dad’s being so cool about it. My two brothers were irritated and definitely showed it.

After a while, my Dad asked my Mom to dress me up. He was taking me out to buy the jackstones, end my misery and restore peace in our home.

Pouting but smiling secretly from time to time, I remember clutching my Dad's hand --or he was clutching mine -- as we left the house. We rode the jeepney to Quiapo. Don’t recall exactly where we alighted. I just remember that we walked and walked. The stores likely to be selling jackstones were all closed. Nevertheless, we asked all those that were open, one store after another. No jackstones.

After what seemed like endless walking and asking and head-shaking, my Dad decided to end the search, promising to get the jackstones the next day. That quieted me down. The world seemed right again, yesterday's broken promise forgotten.

Next image in my mind is my Dad and me sitting side-by-side at the counter of Fairmont Ice Cream Parlor on Avenida Rizal. Playfully swinging my legs that are way above the round metal footrest, I have the cold light brown paper cup in my left hand, the small wooden spoon in my right. The still icy ice cream cup cover stares back at me from the counter top where my Dad placed it.

To this day, the thought of Fairmont's mocca pecan ice cream makes me salivate. And because of that Sunday long ago, it does not only bring gustatory delight. My heart unfailingly overflows everytime I remember that quiet little episode with my Dad who promised, forgot, promised again and finally brought me my first set of jackstones.

A snapshot in my mind’s album, not just of ice cream and jackstones but also of precious, timeless things. A father’s love, a daughter’s trust, disappointment, honest admittance, forgiveness, making up and believing again.

No comments:

Post a Comment