Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Memories of Tokyo (1)

I rode with Jenny and got to Ortigas too early for my meeting yesterday. Which is just as well. I didn't have breakfast before leaving the house and so I thought that an Alcapone donut and some drinks at J.Co will be perfect.

The usual line wasn't there, thank God. There were also enough tables and seats to choose from.

I was halfway into my Alcapone when I suddenly remembered the times I would be alone in some coffee shop in Tokyo. I was either waiting for the right time to proceed on foot to the venue of my meeting, or reviewing my notes and consolidating what transpired in the meeting before braving the subway crowd to Hotel Mets in Mizonokuchi, my home when in Japan. I could also be just waiting for somebody I agreed to meet at the place. Or spending my quiet time, writing letters to the Lord.

For meetings, I made it a point to get to the area at least 30 minutes early. I stayed in a small hotel in the suburbs, about 30-45 minutes from downtown Tokyo (Shibuya or Shinjuku). I needed enough lead time since Tokyo meant walking a lot and due to polio when I was two, long walks or walking fast has never been my cup of tea. I also refrained from taking the cab as I felt it wasn't right for me as a fund-raiser (same reason I opted for a modest business hotel even if my boss nagged me about transferring to a hotel in the heart of Tokyo which will easily cost the organization at least thrice as much). Walking  in summer in Japan is also like being in a marathon. In such a short time, one feels the sweat rolling down one's back, one's forehead, etc. In winter, it's the same for one from the tropics what with the three layers of winter clothes for protection from the bitter cold.

Thus I consider coffee shops and family restaurants among my most favorite pit stops in Tokyo. Fortunately, they are generally quiet, clean, serve good food, good service, and are reasonably priced. Best of all, Japanese people mind their own business. They will not ogle or steal a glance every so often at an elderly who does not look Japanese and is alone, reading, writing, or simply and quietly enjoying a light snack. Tully's, Excelsior, Mermaid Cafe, Jonathan's, Denny's, and many more with Japanese names which understandably I have forgotten by now. But I will always remember the aroma, the view, the little flower vases with delicate flowers and plants in season, the friendly staff, the nicely appointed dining tables and chairs, and, of course, the food and drinks-- crepe cake, strawberry tart, my favorite flat round Japanese bread with cream cheese and walnuts as filling, the lightest croissant I've ever tasted, ice cold lemon juice, green tea, delicately flavored cappuccino, etc.

That was early 2000 and it wasn't customary yet to see a lone female in some coffee shop in Metro Manila, sipping coffee or reading a book or pounding on her gadget. I felt so good therefore when I realized that I had acquired such freedom in Tokyo. It took some getting used to for Jenny to see that on her first few trips with me to Tokyo. Eventually, she too came to acquire and enjoy the freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment