Wednesday, July 29, 2009

My ballerinas

I do not quite know when, how and why I acquired a special liking for small ballerina figurines. I just know that over the years, I slowly acquired a few of them.

One of the first internet searches I ever did was for a digital image of Degas’ Le Petite Danseuse (Little Dancer). Years later, I saw and, after several return visits, bought an 8-inch hand-painted resin reproduction from an art shop at the Mega Mall. This little dancer that has long intrigued me has since stood on my “window sill art gallery.” In clear day light, her upturned face is a sight to behold. Her quiet childlike arrogance is unmistakable even in silhouette against the morning sunlight or at dusk.

The porcelain Nao ballerina by Lladro was a Christmas gift from Jenny. I like the way she takes her bow -- hands gracefully outstretched, lips puckered, eyes closed. What chubby legs must be hidden under her billowy skirt.

This trio of 12-inch abstract ballerinas in wrought iron was a gift from Dodo. "Boobsy," a 7-inch modern rendition also in iron, was a gift from Robbie.

"Patsy" is 5 inches tall, hand-painted, resin. If she were for real, she would probably be a lovable, funny heavyweight relentlessly pursuing her love for dance, all 300+-pounds of her.

I stared and held her for sometime in that hard-to-relocate nook of the Sogo Department store in Causeway Bay. There was something in this five-inch porcelain charmer with fine limbs and a sad round face framed by lush pink mane that captivated me. By Italian Maestro Lino Zampiva, she is seated on a yellow pedestal, a music sheet strewn at her feet.

I have yet to come across another like this Russ 4-inch stuffed ballerina on tiptoe on a wooden base. Dirty and worn-out, she will continue to have a place in my gallery.

This proud 4-inch resin dancer in bronze finish was a surprise from Jenny on one of our HK visits. I found out later that the original of this reproduction is by a contemporary Russian artist named Sergei Eylanbekov.

The 3-inch tall Nao ballerina by Lladro is the latest addition to my collection. Her mischievous smile is like a prelude to a quiet chuckle or giggle.

My ballerinas have given me so much delight. And beyond them, the people who brought them into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment